Wednesday, April 5, 2017

IWSG - Beating Self Doubt & Links

It's the first Wednesday of April, which makes it time for the Insecure Writer's Support Group, created by Alex J. Cavanaugh.


The IWSG is open to anyone who would like to participate. It's a place to air your insecurities, and a way to hop around and lend your support to others. Click on Alex's name above to go sign up.

This month's co-hosts are  Chris D. Votey, Madeline Mora-Summonte,Fundy Blue, and Chrys Fey! Be sure to stop by and say thanks for their hard work.

This month's optional question is Have you taken advantage of the annual A to Z Challenge in terms of marketing, networking, publicity for your book? What were the results?

The years I participated in the A-to-Z, I wasn't yet published, so no, I didn't use it for any sort of marketing.

For those of you participating in the A-to-Z right now, I hope you're having a great time! I actually might be able to do it next year, so I'm already considering what I might like to do.

As far as my insecurities, I've been low the last few months, suffering quite a bit of self-doubt, and judging my writing harshly. As a result, I didn't finish anything new for a good part of that time, but I recently broke through it and started enjoying the process again. I'm also being flooded with ideas. Sometimes you just have to soldier through the downs until you can reclaim your love of the writing again.

The first Wednesday of each month is also when I go over my stats for the month, so here are March's stats:

5 submissions
6 rejections (1 personal)
0 acceptances
1 publication

I currently have 9 pieces on submission.

I've gotten a lot of editing done this month, so that's good!

Now for some links. Bear in mind that I'm not endorsing, merely passing along. Always do your own due diligence before submitting.

Accepting Submissions:

Strange Horizons is accepting speculative fiction short stories. Up to 10,000 words. Pays $.08/word.

Red Sun Magazine is accepting speculative fiction short stories up through novella or serialized. They prefer 3000 to 5000 words. Pays $100 for short stories. Other pay varies.

The Flash Fiction Press is always accepting flash fiction. All genres. 250 to 1200 words. Pays $3.

Occult Detective Quarterly is accepting fiction, non-fiction, and artwork. They want stories about those who investigate the odd and supernatural. 3000 to 5500 words. Pays $.01/word.

Phantaxis is accepting short stories, flash fiction, and artwork in science fiction and fantasy. 1000 to 15,000 words. Pays $.01/word.

Daily Science Fiction is accepting speculative flash fiction. Up to 1500 words. Pays $.08/word.

Of Interest:

The Guardian put out an article entitled Rise of Female Monsters Shows Horror Movies Are Not Afraid of Big, Bad Women.

What are your insecurities? How do you pull yourself out of a slump? Have you submitted any stories this month? Are any of these links of interest? 

May you find your Muse.

24 comments:

Michelle Wallace said...

Well done on having 9 pieces on submission. That's progress. It means things are happening...you're moving along.
Keeping busy helps to chase those insecurities away...
Happy IWSG Day!
Writer In Transit

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Glad to hear you've broken through and are enjoying the process again.

Thanks for the links! I have a note of The Flash Fiction Press from awhile back.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Great job getting your work out there. You're an inspiration, and thanks for the links!
Mary at Play off the Page

Crystal Collier said...

Power to the author! Way to go, you! I'm so glad you broke through. Those seasons of getting down should be outlawed, but then how would we appreciate the high, eh?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Soldier through the downs - that is a great way to describe it. Now that you're inspired, write on!

Meka James said...

Yay for pushing through the self doubt and getting the new ideas flowing. It's not an easy thing to do but you (or at least I do) feel so much better once you get on the other side of the doubt. Good luck with the submissions you have out.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's wonderful to hear you found the joy again and broke through some self-doubt.

Andrew Leon said...

Are the downs Watership?
:P

S.A. Larsenッ said...

I just don't have enough time to partake in the A to Z anymore. I so miss it, though! Some folks come up with the most awesome themes!

Julie Flanders said...

I'm sorry you've been struggling. I can relate but finally seem to have turned a corner. I'm so glad you broke through and I hope those ideas keep flooding your brain! :)

Stephsco said...

It takes constant effort to keep putting writing out there. You can be proud you're submitting. Some writers never do or give up.

Here's my IWSG for April Stephanie Scott YA Author

Pat Garcia said...

Lady,
I am so proud of you and you are a big encouragement for me. I am so glad you broke through your blues period. It happens to us writers, but if we persevere we will see light.
Take care and keep writing.
Shalom aleichem,
Pat

Olga Godim said...

It's good you're out of the dumps. Maybe the winter was responsible? I couldn't write anything either for the past few months, but now it seems I'm waking up, and so does my writing.
Thanks for the links.

Cherie Reich said...

I sometimes think our brain lets us know when we need a bit of a break, even when we don't want to take a break. I'm glad your finding lots of new ideas. Good luck on your submissions!

Yvonne Ventresca said...

It's great that you are back in the writing groove and are submitting! Thanks for providing the links.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Rejections are depressing. I've had so many that it gets easier, but frustrating... Good luck on all your submissions!!!

Lidy said...

'Sometimes you just have to soldier through the downs until you can reclaim your love of the writing again'...no truer words have been said. Rejections suck but I like to think of it as not being the right fit. And finding the right fit is important. Plus it helps with the suckage.
Glad to see you've got your writing groove back. Happy writing and good luck on your submissions!

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

I so appreciate your posts, that that you take the time to find and share places that are accepting submissions. Glad to hear things are going better, and the ideas flowing. I realized today that, having just finished the edit of an MS that has it ready to go to my editors, I'm already thinking about where the characters go in the next book. I guess that's how you know you have a series on your hand (and when it stops, maybe time to end the series?)

The Ninja Librarian’s Favorite Characters and IWSG

John Wiswell said...

Self-doubt always strikes, and I'm glad you're conquering this bout. New plot ideas are a great answer to internal conflict. Go you!

Unidentified Funny Objects is also open to humorous Fantasy and Science Fiction at 10 cents per word. https://alexshvartsman.com/ufo-unidentified-funny-objects/

If you have something, send it in before the end of the month!

Anonymous said...

You are doing well, despite any insecurities. When you judge your writing "harshly", are you comparing it to others? I know that can be a downer for me, so that's something I make a concerted effort not to do. We all write differently, we're all individuals. Otherwise, we'd just be cookie-cutters writers, and where's the fun in that? :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Hooray for the publication!
I decided to focus on super short writing for a bit and then I sent my work to non-paying markets - it's the only reason I think I received some acceptance letters this last month. I've had a tough time writing anything longer for paid markets.
Best wishes for your writing, submitting, and publication work!

The Cynical Sailor said...

I'm so glad you've broken through the self-doubts. This is great advice of yours --> "Sometimes you just have to soldier through the downs until you can reclaim your love of the writing again."

Christine Rains said...

Happy to hear you pushed through the low points and are back with the highs. :) I read a lot when I'm feeling low. My inspiration gets perked back up then. After my local critique group meeting this Saturday, I'll be ready to submit another couple flash pieces. Thanks for the links!

DMS said...

Glad you are coming out of your low and ideas are flooding in! Yeah! Sometimes we can judge ourselves too harshly and that can be tough. Glad you are soldiering on. :)
~Jess